This project is read-only.

Line of Sight / Hull lighting

May 12, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Greetings all!

I know there have been a couple of discussions dealing with line of sight / field of view and was just checking on what others have come up with for a solution. I recall someone mentioning that they take in the lightmap and use it to determine a sprites alpha value. I can see doing this with the hull opacity also (if hull is in a shadow, don't cast its shadow). However, I haven't been able to come up with a solution for the hull lighting. Currently I use the Illuminated shadow type so that my wall tile hulls don't cast shadows on each-other. Do you see any way that the hull could have an attribute that determines how much light it 'reflects' ?

Using the example below, I don't want that specific hull to be illuminated because its something I would want the player to only see if they were in the building. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

May 25, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I don't understand what you mean by "reflect", as that term caught me off guard from the rest of your post.

To make the inner of the building not appear, you can run krypton once with the "lower" shadow hulls, and again for the "higher" shadow hulls, and overlay the two. higher on top, casting shadows over the lower.