Who's Using What?

Coordinator
Mar 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Chris here,

Just wondering who's using which version of Krypton. Is everyone still using 2.0, or are they using the latest source?

Just wondering.

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Version 2.0.

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM

2.0 so far.

Is the latest source stable?

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I'm using the latest source, but I've done some changes to it to fit my needs a bit better. Fortunately it's open source! ^^

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Currently using 2.0 with a few mods (removed custom scissor rectangle which caused light clipping because I'm using camera rotation, minor tweaks in garbage generation).

Would love to try out latest source if it's stable.

Coordinator
Mar 26, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Thanks for the replies!

The latest source is stable, as far as I can tell. It's setup differently, though... I'm hoping to do a video tutorial on it pretty soon.

What changes have each of you made? (I'm curious to see if they can be included in V3)

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:40 AM

I changed the HLSL code so it blends the shadows differently. With the original settings, the image burned, but now it just stick to the maximum brightness. I've also been thinking of adding a normal mapping which would give reflections, and a bloom effect for the highly-lit areas.

I also made the engine aware of the player position for a bit more effective light / shadow cut-offs, and added a variable to control the length of the shadows directly from my game project rather than from the HLSL code.

Coordinator
Mar 27, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Morbidi,

Care to share your changes? I'd be interested in seeing what you mean by "a bit more effective light / shadow cut-offs".

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:42 AM

The only change I made was to make the Krypton's resulting rendertarget public, as I'm using it for postprocessing. I'll check Krypton 3.0, thanks for the amazing work xixonia. BTW, what are the main changes between 2.0 and 3.0?

Coordinator
Mar 29, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Changes in latest source since v2.0 include:

• Multiple viewport support.
  • Rotated View Matrix support.
  • Improved OO Design.

There may be others, but they don't come to mind at the moment. You could check the issue tracker to see what problems have been solved.

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM
xixonia wrote:

Morbidi,

Care to share your changes? I'd be interested in seeing what you mean by "a bit more effective light / shadow cut-offs".

I just made the engine to cut off the lights if they're further away from the player than a certain distance. Basically it's the same as the Krypton's own system, but instead of being screen-related, it's player position-related.

All the other changes are quite messy since it's still WIP, but I'll let you know when I've got something to show. :)