Krypton is a...

Coordinator
Apr 12, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Krypton is a fast 2D Light Engine for XNA.

--- but ---

That's all krypton is! So, that begs the question: What technologies are you using with Krypton?

I know a lot of XNA developers are using Farseers for physics, and some of those people are using Krypton for lighting, but I'd like to know what other kinds of systems you typically find in your games. Inventory, weapons, commerce, networking, input, animation, etc. What kind of systems in your game would you like to have written for you, rather than writing it yourself?

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:26 AM

I only wanted the light engine to be written for me. The rest I want to write myself.

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I'm using Krypton combined with Farseer and Mercury Particle Engine and EasyStorage for the savegames.

I implemented my own 2D skeleton animation system (I needed a lot of control over it, as I'm using the skeletons combined with Farseer), and the screen management I used was taken from the XNA samples.

For the maps I started using Gleed2D, but then I found that a tiled map was more suitable for my game, so I moved over and now I'm using OGMO as a map editor, and OGMOXna for importing the maps (I'm planning on developing a custom importer later).

The thing I missed the most was an easy-to-implement, flexible control system (handling gamepad buttons and keyboard/mouse redefinitions). Finally I made something myself.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Farseer (works perfectly together with Krypton)

Mercury particles

EasyStorage

self made LEvel editor

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2012 at 2:07 PM

So it sounds like the input was the biggest problem anyone had.

I'd tend to agree with that. Input in XNA can be confusing, or, at best, cumbersome, if you don't write some sort of input manager.

I've got an idea about that.

Also, no-one seemed to mention at camera class. I noticed a few people having trouble integrating a camera with krypton, especially with SpriteBatch as the main blitting tool. Does anyone have any interest in an easy to use full featured camera class?

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM

A full featured camera class would be nice, with scale options (for Farseer compatibility for example). I'm currently using my own, based on the one found in the Farseer samples, though.

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Krypton for lighting,  xna game state management for menu and lidgren network library for networking. Writing other stuff myself.