Is this possible with Krypton (lighting effects)?

May 12, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Hi,

I'm creating a fighting game. I am actually making the graphics engine. I already have a way to handle texture, animations, scrolling. My next steps is lighting effects.

As a consequence, i am interested by your engine. But before going fully into it i'd like to know if the thing i want (as lighting effect) are possible.

for example, my background have 15 layers of animation and textures. The 13th layer is a big tower. I'd like to make a sunset effect with some shadow cast by the big tower.

so, is it possible in the draw class of my background to implement, a source lighting, between the 13th and 14th layer that only have an effect on the 13th layer?

Thx for your answer 

May 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Ok, i have tried many lighting system and yours is the best i have seen. I can easily do what i want with your demo but i failed to implement it in my game.

In your demo, the drawing is made in a principal class -> called by the game class.

But my light need to be drawn in a:

background class -> drawn in the gameplayscreen class -> inheriting from a screen display class -> with a graphics device coming from a screen management class -> called by main game class.

This create a lot of problem to load, initialize or Draw. For example:

-(This) is often used but not necessarily point to the good class, inheritance should be different too, i think

-in my Background Draw class, the call is Draw(SpriteBatch spritebatch) which make the gameTime inaccessible for your engine.

A tutorial would be the best thing you'll can do for the use of your engine. Anyway, good job on what you did with Krypton.

Developer
May 22, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Hi Pedrosan,

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. From what it sounds like, we'd need to overhaul the process flow of Krypton in order to make it work with your game.

We are working on tutorial materials, but our time has been split between a few different projects at the moment. Now that Uni's over, we can focus on the 3.0 release. I'll consult with Xixonia to see what he thinks of your dilema, and we may be contacting you again in the near future.

Cheers.