Is the project dead/abandoned?

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM
I haven't seen a developer post in months upon months and I even tried to email them.

There's been several people with various issues and calls for advice and must have been left unanswered.

Personally I'm still looking for help with the engine. I've got pretty far with it but still running in to the same problem.
Jun 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I think since Microsoft announced that there would be no further versions of XNA or continuing support for it, the developers who supported these XNA-based tools no longer have any interest in maintaining them. The focus is on XB1 now and whatever indie-accessible framework is announced for that console, if any.

Personally, I don't expect sales of the 360 to die off, particularly if the new console release results in a price drop in the 360 so I'll make a few XNA games still. At best, I'm hoping it will become more accessible to lower income families who would be more inclined to purchase cheap XBLIG as AAA releases for the 360 slow down.

As for project support, I guess we all have to help each other now.
Jun 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM
I stuck with XNA for now as C# and XNA are the only languages/framework I've really familiarised myself with. Plus I already started my current project before they discontinued their support :(

It's just a shame that the project seems to have dwindled out with no official word from the devs.

Nonadecimal, I asked if your other topic but how are you handling the L shaped shadow hull? It's a concave polygon and I can only get those to work by combining multiple convex polygons, only that ruins the shadows being cast on itself and it looks dumb :(

I've been trying to find a solution/work around for months now. Also 'opacity' for shadow hulls seems bugged and I haven't been able to fix it.
Developer
Jun 11, 2013 at 1:01 AM
First off I'd like to apologize for being away from here for so long. College and some consulting projects ate up the majority of our time, and we didn't intend to neglect this engine entirely. I check in on the discussions from time to time, and mostly what I see is users answering their own setup questions or another user will swoop in to lend a hand. We worked with the early adopters of this engine initially to get the necessary features put in, and Chris even started reorganizing the engine in the "Futures" section of the source code, but we didn't end up following through with that since most seemed content with the current engine or they had already heavily modified their own copy to suit their needs.

As for the emails, I hadn't noticed a private message from codeplex in quite some time, so I may have missed yours entirely :/

I just spoke with Chris for the "official word" on the project status, and we're agreeing to halt the XNA development for now. Microsoft dropping support of XNA, and Unity going free for Indies, has made Unity an attractive option for our upcoming projects. Any further additions to the project would be completed to support Unity if necessary. But hey, if Microsoft wants to introduce and support a new framework for Indie devs, then we'd be excited to look into that as well.

I'll apologize again on behalf of our team again for not announcing our lack of support sooner. We really love this project and enjoyed working on it over the past few years.

Best of luck with all your endeavours.
Jun 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Hey djdindak, thanks for the response.

At least now there's an official word so people know what to think/expect.

I'm kinda bummed out in general though thanks to Microsoft dropping XNA, it's caused a rift in the gamedev community/projects/engines and people are abandoning ship or dropping projects/support. The annoying part for me was I was just starting to get fluent with XNA/C# so now I don't know where to go.

I tried Unity and didn't like it. Firstly, 3D isn't my thing (no idea how to model or animate) and secondly it was near impossible to do a 2D game when I tried. It's a neat idea but I like to have way more control over the code, rather than just attaching scripts on to objects =/

I've been told that Monogame will continue to support XNA but no idea how long they plan to keep that up.

Is there any learning material for getting to know how Krypton works? I'd love to be able to fix the issues I'm having or tweak it for my desired effects. I've stepped through almost the entire project but I still get lost when it comes to actually preparing/drawing the lightmap (my guess it as I have no idea how fx files work).