This project is read-only.

XNA 4.0 - Reach or HiDef?

Oct 28, 2010 at 4:42 AM

Hello,

I am in need of a lighting solution for my game. I was just about to go whip something very basic myself and saw this project, with the note just today that it's going to be ported to XNA 4.0. How big of a task is it - i.e., how long will it take? Should I try to do it myself? And my true question, which profiles will it support? Will I be able to use this project with a Reach profiled game when the XNA 4.0 version is done?

Thanks for the info.

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:56 PM
Edited Oct 28, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Hey, Phoenix.

I'm assuming when you say "Reach" you mean Halo Reach? For me, this implies you're looking to make a 3 dimensional game. Krypton is currently only a 2D lighting engine.

Could you please rephrase your question?

As for how long the conversion may take, I do not know. This will be my first main attempt at XNA 4.0, so I can't say for sure what problems I will run in to when converting the project. However, I will keep the front page updated with my progress.

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:07 PM

When you view the properties of an XNA 4.0 project, you can select between two different "Profiles," Reach, and HiDef. Here's a blog post about it... http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnhar/archive/2010/03/12/reach-vs-hidef.aspx

The HiDef profile only supports newer graphics cards, while the Reach profile supports a much wider audience. I was wondering about which one you were going to support. I don't know enough about the project to say whether or not it requires the more advanced HiDef requirements, but I would assume (and I've been wrong with my XNA assumptions in the past...) that if it wasn't a 4.0 project to begin with, it will probably fall within the Reach profile, which is what I'm hoping is the case.

Also, I think Halo Reach crosses everyone's mind when they hear it, even if they already know what it is!

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Ahh, ok.

I recall hearing about this in some of the dev blogs. Krypton will use the Reach profile, but as custom shaders are not supported on Windows Phone 7, it will be restricted to Windows and Xbox 360.

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:27 PM

That's exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks for working on this project; it's a great contribution to the XNA community. I am definitely going to enjoy using it!